Steps to Success day treatment is a program that provides comprehensive mental health service to middle school youth, male and female, ages 11-14 who are struggling in their home, school and/or community environments due to mental health and behavioral challenges.
These children are unable to sustain full school programming and require an intensive mental health intervention to get back on track. Youth may present with both mental health and juvenile justice issues.
What Services are provided by STS?
Service plans are developed with the family, child and others involved in the child’s life to meet the individual needs of each child and may use different levels of the available services.
Available services include assessment, case management, art therapy, group counseling, individual therapy, family therapy, home support, school support, experiential education, competency-skill building, medical oversight by a registered nurse, child psychiatric consultation, crisis response and aftercare support.
The STS program is offered Monday-Friday from noon to 4 PM at the Family Service Madison office, located at 128 E. Olin Avenue. Individual programming needs such as family therapy, school visits and individual therapy are scheduled throughout the week and will be unique to each child. Options for transportation to and from the program include bus passes, cab passes and parent support. Funding options for STS include private insurance, Medicaid and grant support. What are the overall program goals?
STS is committed to providing quality mental health programming to children and their families. STS works in partnership with the family, child and school:
• To stabilize mental health needs through a structured treatment environment
• To increase the child’s level of success in home, school, and community environments
• To support parents/caregivers to more successfully manage their child’s challenging behavior
• To coordinate with school personnel through regular contacts/visits to successfully integrate the child into full day school programming
• To build on the child’s strengths while improving social and competency skills
• To decrease community/delinquency violations
• To assist the child/family in meeting their identified needs and goals.
A referral form for the Steps to Success program referral-form can be found here.